Drake Hungers for Jennifer Lawrence on New Song 'Draft Day'


 

Drake released a new song Tuesday night ostensibly about next month's NFL Draft, but found time to name-check Chicago MC Chance the Rapper, throw possible insults at certain A-list married rappers and express his desire for Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence.


Sampling Lauryn Hill's 1998 hit "Doo Wop (That Thing),” "Draft Day" opens with a nod to 21-year-old college football phenom Johnny Manziel before the rapper addresses his detractors. "And if I left this shit to chance, I would've picked a name like Chance the Rapper," rhymes Drake. "No offense 'cause I don't know that n---a/I focus on making records and getting bigger."

Elsewhere, the Nothing Is the Same rapper rhymes, "Just hits, no Mrs./That's for the married folk," leading some fans to claim that Drake has renewed tensions with either Jay Z or Kanye West (or both). Speaking to Rolling Stone in February, Drake said of Jay Z, "It's like Hov can't drop bars these days without at least four art references. I would love to collect [art] at some point, but I think the whole Rap/art world thing is getting kind of corny." Jay fired back on Jay Electronica's "We Made It" last month, rhyming, "Sorry Mrs. Drizzy for so much art talk/Silly me, rappin' 'bout shit that I really bought."

In the same interview, the Toronto rapper also expressed ambivalence for Kanye's last album, Yeezus. "There were some real questionable bars on there," said Drake. "Like that 'Swaghili' line? Come on, man. Even Fabolous wouldn't say some shit like that." Later that month, though, West made a surprise appearance at Drake's Berlin show, with the latter calling the former, "The genius of all geniuses."

But arguably the most unexpected reference comes in a tribute, of sorts, to a celebrity in a different field.

"On some Hunger Games shit/I would die for my district," raps Drake. "Jennifer Lawrence/You could really get it/I mean, for real girl, you know I had to do it for ya."

Comments

Popular Posts